Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A's Frog Cake & Fly Cupcake

I had the opportunity to make my nephew's first birthday cake. They had a frog themed party and invited a bunch of people! So to make sure there was enough cake to go around I decided to make a big Frog cake with lots of fly cupcakes.


Of course he needed his own smash cake for the best part of any party... letting the 1 year old go at it with all camera's flashing! So I made a 6" round cake and made it reflect the big frog's face.


They asked for a banana cake because he LOVES bananas but I didn't like the idea of making a cake with bananas and letting it sit out... I had nightmares of brown goo oozing out when I cut it- yuck. So instead I made a white cake with banana icing filling and buttercream frosting. It tasted like a banana cream pie in cake form! I made the large cake by making the cake pan so I had an exact outline of what I wanted, but the middle was a little too moist so I think next time I won't go that big.

I didn't fill the cupcakes so the people who didn't want banana flavor could still have cake. I think it turned out great and they ended up with alot of cake, but I didn't hear any complaints!

My favorite part of making a cake for someone is seeing their face light up when they see it for the first time and the "ummm... hummm" as they take the first bite and it's just what they wanted. Of course the b-day boy didn't say anything, but he ate alot of his cake so I'm assuming he thought it was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment