Wednesday, March 7, 2012

50's Cake

I was asked to make my Father-in-law a birthday cake in the 50's style. So I made a double layer 9 in. and double layer 6 in. strawberry cake with buttercream frosting and fondant and chocolate fondant decorations on top. I chose to do a strawberry cake instead of a filling because I knew it would be sitting out while being decorated and had a long drive in the car and I didn't want it to get too warm. I made the cake and decorated most of it before going to Logan and took a picture. I'm glad I did because it fell on the way up! Half of the bottom layer was completely destroyed along with all of the fondant decorations on that side. I didn't take any cake supplies or leftover fondant so I had to get more frosting and just work with what I had. Luckly I was able to save some decorations and fix the layer so we could take pictures only on the front side.

 I've learned my lesson- never transport a cake on a cake stand... in a box... on the backseat... out of view. It sounds like common sense, but in my hurry to get us packed and up there I wasn't thinking very clearly. I put the top decorations on when we got there so they were ok. I made the curliques by wrapping strips of fondant around lollipop sticks and letting them dry. Even after drying they were still a little flexible so I could position them how I wanted on the cake. I also made a record player but you can't really see it in these pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment